Saturday, February 9, 2013

February 9, 2013



Cicada


The winter was slow in coming this year, but now that it has there’s been plenty of snow and wind and much colder temperatures than last year.  I’ve had some management issues lately and some of the older chickens look a little rough.  Finn’s got some frostbite on his comb, and by the time I noticed it, it seemed too sore to put Vaseline on it.  Good ventilation is supposed to prevent this, and I have been keeping at least one window open in the coop at night, depending on wind direction, but perhaps that’s not enough.  He was a little subdued for awhile, but he’s bounced back well this past week.  

Another issue with Finn was his long spurs.  I was noticing raw spots on the backs of the hens from him before they molted so one evening Steve and I removed his spurs.  This was nearly a disaster.  I had read and talked to my chicken mentor, and the consensus was that the easiest way to do it was just to twist off the outer layer with pliers, and there would be little pain and bleeding.  The spur coverings came off pretty easily--he flinched a bit, but not badly.  But then we could NOT get the bleeding to stop.  I had cornstarch on hand, but it wasn’t enough.  Finally Steve duct taped cornstarch-filled paper towels to his legs.  That finally worked, but I’m glad I didn’t take this on alone--we definitely needed two pairs of hands!

About a month ago, I started noticing a bad smell from the back coop.  I’ve been keeping up with adding litter, especially with all the birds hanging out inside during snowy days, so there’s usually not much odor.  I finally found that molting, ragged-looking Silver was having diarrhea.  She’s been active, out with the others, and up for treats so I hesitated.  But finally I bit the bullet, brought her in, and kept her in a crate on the porch last weekend.  I plied her with medicated chick starter, probiotics in her water, plain yogurt, and some dry cat food.  She took to her confinement pretty well--I hardly heard a peep out of her all weekend.  She ate well too, and I never saw much evidence of diarrhea or anything abnormal, so back to the coop she went.  I have since seen her chasing Cicada around.

Cicada, at nearly six months old is having a rough winter.  He hangs by himself or with Lark all day outside in the snow.  I put a little lean-to outside for wind shelter, but he avoids it.  I should have put the pair of them in the broody coop, but once separated, I don’t think I can ever put them back with the rest.  We’re going to have a milder stretch in the next 10 days, so I think I’ll leave well enough alone at this point.  He’s certainly old enough, but I haven’t heard him crow, and he isn’t strutting around.  I even had a day recently when I was wondering if he wasn’t a pullet after all (he’s not).  For a while I thought when he got a little more mature (like in a week, or the next,,,,), he’d put the older hens in their place (Oriole is adept at this, although they certainly resent him), but it’s not happening.  I’m definitely needing more coops, and I think it will be better if I just get all the Araucanas out of the main area with the older chickens.  Finn’s breeding all the pullets (which they encourage--they love him and hate Oriole), and the size difference could be a problem, not to mention I have no intention of propagating mixed breed chickens with the Araucanas.  Sparrow and Oriole seem to have integrated well, but Wren, Lark, and certainly Cicada have not.


Oriole

Despite the relatively rough winter, most of the Araucana pullets are laying like crazy.  I usually get at least 3 eggs a day from the five pullets.  In the front coop, there is a greener egg (Hawk’s I think) and a bluer one with white speckles that I see more rarely.  In back there’s a much greener kind of stone-colored one and two blue-green ones.  I have hopes of being able to tell which egg comes from which hen when it comes time to set them.  I’ve been advertising table eggs locally to no avail.  My plan is to find a food pantry that will take fresh eggs.


Lark with the Sussex girls

1 comment:

  1. Clipping those spurs on poor Finn sounded pretty gruesome, I glad you got it under control and he won't be scratching the others so much. The eggs sound like they are very pretty, I hope you can get some photos. Good luck finding a food pantry, I still can't find fresh eggs anywhere near here. Janet gets them delivered to her work every week or so, but it's too far for me to get in on that deal. Hopefully you are on the downside of winter and things will start to warm up.

    ReplyDelete