Saturday, April 2, 2011

The First Egg!

The first one!

Last Wednesday evening when the chickens were exactly 21 weeks old, I found the first egg lying next to the feeder in the coop.

The last grocery store eggs ever!

It was very tiny--bantam-sized (seen here next to normal sized grocery store eggs), but I fried it up and it was delicious! Another one appeared yesterday so it looks like we're off and running.

Flicka and Belle

I'd been thinking they might have belonged to Belle because she appears the most mature with a red face and a well-developed comb and wattles......

...but this morning it's Rachel who's showing signs of laying, constantly moving in and out of the coop and rummaging around in the nest boxes. There'll probably be another egg today!

Finn and Goldi

Meanwhile, I heard Finn crow for the first time over two weeks ago, but so far he's only doing it in the privacy of the coop. Fine with me and the neighbors!

Clucky and Zen

I've seen him do the "wing dance" courtship displays for a couple of the Orpingtons to no avail--they each edged quickly away. On the other hand, Belle runs to his side often (maybe for protection from the more dominant pullets), but I haven't seen him courting her.

Zen and Rachel

Flicka

3 comments:

  1. I've been waiting for you to post here! What are wattles?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wattles are the red flaps of skin under the chin. They get redder and "flappier" as chickens mature.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the clarification!

    ReplyDelete