Saturday, December 18, 2010

In Transition

By the time the chicks were five weeks old, they had thoroughly outgrown the tank and needed to be housed in something a little more spacious.

They're little chickens now, bantam size, and fully feathered.

Zen is getting very tall.

Rachel, hoping for a handout.

I had hoped to be able to transfer them outside to the coop at this stage, but they're still a little tender for our current Arctic conditions.

I rigged up a very inelegant pen in my unheated mudroom with a piece of drywall and the top I had made for the tank. They are enjoying their space, but it's pretty cold, even here.

Currently I'm keeping the heatlamp on at night and they huddle under it to sleep.

The weather's predicted to remain cold, with a string of single digit nights this weekend. I think I'll be keeping them in until after Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment